Emotional Finance
What do you do when you've invested your money somewhere and that stock is giving you a bad return?
You either hang in there hopin that things might get better and you will recover your losses in the future or you withdraw and invest elsewhere where you're sure u'll get better returns, at least short term.
Now relate this basic financial logic to life and you get what I call the 'emotional finance' theory. Ideas brainchild of my conversation with Raghav, my cousin.
When we make friends, form relationships we mostly expect to be able to bank on it. We actually make an emotional investment in all of our relationships subconsciously hopin that it'll pay back someday. Nah don't shake your head, u know you expect your friends to be there whenever you need them, don't you?
Investing emotionally could be closely analogous to trusting someone. My 'thought allocation' theory states that majority of our relationships are imbalanced. But sometimes this imbalance reaches a see-saw point, the point where you can term it as an obvious bad return to your emotional investment. That's when we have a choice.
Oh and for people like me, who are way too loyal or chicken there's another possible alternative... you can reduce your investment instead of withdrawing it completely, bring it down to the level of the return. Emotionally I guess this is easier said than done but sometimes we just need to do it.
Tell me have you ever made such a choice? What did you choose to do?
PS: Song I can't have enough of:
PPS: More articles that got published - A book review for The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan and the best from my Penwork {according to Lena :)}, About to Begin
You either hang in there hopin that things might get better and you will recover your losses in the future or you withdraw and invest elsewhere where you're sure u'll get better returns, at least short term.
Now relate this basic financial logic to life and you get what I call the 'emotional finance' theory. Ideas brainchild of my conversation with Raghav, my cousin.
When we make friends, form relationships we mostly expect to be able to bank on it. We actually make an emotional investment in all of our relationships subconsciously hopin that it'll pay back someday. Nah don't shake your head, u know you expect your friends to be there whenever you need them, don't you?
Investing emotionally could be closely analogous to trusting someone. My 'thought allocation' theory states that majority of our relationships are imbalanced. But sometimes this imbalance reaches a see-saw point, the point where you can term it as an obvious bad return to your emotional investment. That's when we have a choice.
Oh and for people like me, who are way too loyal or chicken there's another possible alternative... you can reduce your investment instead of withdrawing it completely, bring it down to the level of the return. Emotionally I guess this is easier said than done but sometimes we just need to do it.
Tell me have you ever made such a choice? What did you choose to do?
PS: Song I can't have enough of:
PPS: More articles that got published - A book review for The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan and the best from my Penwork {according to Lena :)}, About to Begin
Comments
What I do in such situations.. Give my heart out to make the person understand and when I realize they pretend to accept / or using me I withdraw fully.
Totally true. Without even being conscious about it we make this emotional investment. And it surely hurts when returns are not upto expectations. At times total withdrawl is the only solution but most of the times it is bringing investment down to returns level. If your find time read goonjhighonlife post here on almost the same issue and see comments. Also if you can visit nehatambe in this space and read her latest post with comments.
Read The Zoya Factor and About to Begin also. First one is nice review and the poem is really touching.
Please do navigate here to read my new post. And if you find time visit o3.indiatimes too.
Take care
BTW, I like the name of your blog.
Sorry it is chiseledthoughts and NOT goonjhighonlife.
Take care
I rechecked. Please read both chis... and goonj.... . Also do read nehatambe.
Take care
M yet to decide wht to do swty....still trying to decide wht choice do i have in the first plc..so d day i make my choice..u'll be the second to know..first obviously will be the person directly conected to the choice. :)
tk loads of care..
oh n since i love ur post soo much..guess wht..m gona put this post of ur's in my own blog (first time ever der's a copy paste happening..lolz) coz sumone realy needs to read dis..n der is no way i can direct him to 'ur' blog :(
maggie
i cant withdraw very easily but reducing it is possible..i hav done it and im at peace..i havnt lost the investments and yet the risks r nt giving me sleepless nights
Thanks dear.
So I see you use path C and then path B if need calls. Interesting.
Glad u agree with me on this one.
I'll read Goonj, NehaTambe and Chiseledthoughts also. Lemme see if I can find em, I only know the link to Goonj.
And visiting u is sure on my list, I'm goin in order...I'll get there soon.
Thanks for being patient. :)
Hey welcome to my space,really well said. :)
Thanks...
Hmmm I wrote this coz even I was made to realize that thats not the way the world works.
nice.. as to what the hell is happening? I guess u know.
Hey first time u commented on my blog :P
Sure lemme know when u make a choice.
I know what u mean ... lets hope he reads it and gets it.
Yeah withdrawing completely is really difficult. I think path C is the one for me too, the only thing I not sure abt is whether im gonna be at peace even after reducin it.
Ouch...well atleast its better now.
Btw welcome to my space. :)